Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Love Calls Us to the Things of This World

photo from The Daily Green
The eyes open to a cry of pulleys,
And spirited from sleep, the astounded soul
Hangs for a moment, bodiless and simple
As false dawn.
Outside the open window
The morning air is all awash with angels.

These lines are the first stanza of Richard Wilbur's "Love Calls Us to the Things of This World." I love the immediacy of the images, the evocation of the moment just after waking when our senses are not quite distinct from one another yet.  The person awakes, hears the pulley of the clothesline, and there it is, the magic of the everyday.  I come back to this poem often.  I won't give any more of it away in case you want to check out the link above.  Like the best poems, this one transforms the way I see and experience a piece of my world.  In fact, it gives me chills.  What more can I ask of art? 

6 comments:

  1. One of my very favorite poems! Such a voice in that piece...love your blog; just found it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that poem too...and what a pretty presentation you make of it here--beautiful! Happy Day, Gigi :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your image reflects this poem beautifully! Stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple beauty - both in words and visuals!

    You have such an amazing talent with expressing and sharing such beautiful words! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love laundry. I love poems. I love this post so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting and for taking the time to leave a comment! I love hearing from you.